Penetrating Keratoplasty (PK) Discharge Instructions
- You may bathe the day after surgery
- You may take a shower and wash your hair 4 days after surgery wearing the eye shield
- No bending below the waist, use your knees instead for 3 weeks after surgery
- No heavy lifting for 3 weeks after surgery
- No cutting the lawn or gardening until determined by your eye surgeon
- No sexual activity for 3 weeks after surgery
- No driving until indicated by your eye surgeon
- Your return to work date will be determined by your eye surgeon
- If you were instructed to stop taking Aspirin, Coumadin or other blood thinners before surgery, you may resume taking these medications the day after surgery.
- Continue with your regular eye drops
- Wash your hands before touching your eye
- Do not rub or press on your eye
- Use a fresh facial tissue for your eye each time. Gently blot any tears. Never use the same tissue for your nose and eye.
- Moisten a cotton ball with Saline solution to gently remove any crusting on your lashes
- Do not irrigate your eye
- Wear your glasses or eye shield (without the pad) while awake for 3 months after surgery for protection
- Wear your eye shield (without the pad) while sleeping for 3 months after surgery for your protection
- Wear your eye shield (without the pad) when taking a shower or washing your hair for 1 month after surgery for your protection
- Your eye will be sensitive to light and glare, wear sunglasses as needed for comfort.
- Rest both eyes for 10 seconds every 5 minutes for the first week after surgery
- Limit your time reading, working on the computer and riding in an automobile